Neurology and Behavioral Health for the Family Physician 1st Edition
Release Date: April 29, 2019
Upon completion of this CME activity, you should be able to:
1. Develop evidence-based, primary care strategies for common neurological conditions in the care of patients, including Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, neuropathic pain, movement disorders, concussions, seizures, sleep disorders, and more.
2. Prepare effective plans to diagnose, treat, and manage common behavioral health conditions seen in primary care, including depression and anxiety disorders, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, eating disorders, PTSD, substance abuse, and more.
3. Educate and counsel patients on behavior modification strategies to reduce risks of complications and improve outcomes related to their neurological and/or behavioral health.
4. Provide effective care coordination when specialist referral is required.
5. Utilize strategies to help patients overcome barriers to change in relation to disease management, including cultural competency, literacy skills and access to services or care.
Robin K. Blitz, MD – Senior Medical Director, Special Needs Initiative of United Healthcare, Clinical Associate Professor, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Phoenix
Janice Knoefel, MD, MPH – Professor of Medicine (Geriatrics) and Neurology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
Tim Brown, PharmD, BCACP, FASHP – Director of Clinical Pharmacotherapy in Family Medicine, Center for Family Medicine at Akron General Medical Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation Affiliate, Akron, Ohio
Marcie J. Goeden, MD – Pediatric Neurologist, Children’s Mercy Kansas City, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City
Scott A. Fields, Ph.D. – Professor; Director of Behavioral Science, West Virginia University School of Medicine – Charleston Division; Department of Family Medicine, Charleston, West Virginia
Ahsan A. Naseem, MD – Medical Director Bryan Heartland Psychiatry, Bryan Physician Network, Lincoln, Nebraska
Deepak Patel, MD, FAAFP, FACSM – Director of Sports Medicine, Rush-Copley Family Medicine Residency, Aurora, Illinois; Assistant Professor, Rush Medical College, Chicago; Medical Director, Rush- Copley Sports Medicine, Aurora, Illinois; Family Medicine and Sports Medicine, Yorkville Primary Care, Yorkville, Illinois
Deborah Plate, DO, FAAFP – Akron, Ohio
Laurence J. Robbins, MD – Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver
Kathleen Rowland, MD, MS, FAAFP – Rush-Copley Family Medicine Residency; Assistant Professor, Rush University, Chicago
Adam J. Sorscher, MD – Associate Professor Community and Family Medicine, The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Hanover, New Hampshire; Medical Director, The Sleep Health Center, Alice Peck Day Memorial Hospital, Lebanon, New Hampshire
The AAFP gratefully acknowledges the faculty members of this CME program for allowing recording and reproduction of their materials.
Total possible CME credit: 24.25 Prescribed credits