Extended-Release and Long-Acting Opioid Analgesics Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy Bulletin
1. Describe appropriate patient assessment for treatment with ER/LA opioid analgesics, evaluating risks and potential benefits of ER/LA therapy, as well as possible misuse.
2. Apply proper methods to initiate therapy, modify dose, and discontinue use of ER/LA opioid analgesics, applying best practices including accurate dosing and conversion techniques as well as appropriate discontinuation strategies.
3. Demonstrate accurate knowledge about how to manage ongoing therapy with ER/LA opioid analgesics and properly use evidence-based tools while assessing for adverse effects.
4. Employ methods to counsel patients and caregivers about the safe use of ER/LA opioid analgesics, including proper storage and disposal.
5. Review/assess general and product-specific drug information concerning ER/LA opioid analgesics and identifying potential adverse effects of ER/LA opioids.
View technical requirements (opens in a new window).
View CME credit information (opens in a new window).
View AAFP staff list (opens in a new window).
View disclosures and disclaimers (opens in a new window).
Materials/Contents are not to be reproduced, published or distributed, in whole or in part, in any form or medium, without the express written permission of the American Academy of Family Physicians.
© 2013 American Academy of Family Physicians.
Barry D. Weiss, MD, FAAFP, Professor of Family and Community Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona
- 2.00 AAFP prescribed